Monday, December 1, 2008

I will thank God for Good directions...

I had climbed up the stairs to the dining hall of Lipscomb University, hungry as all get out and ready to have a hot meal with friends. Like many colleges Lipscomb had several dining options, one that included more classic choices, the things your mom would make for dinner like chicken, potatoes, rice and veggies. Much to my excitement they had spinach, one of my favorites. I helped myself to a large mound of spinach along with some other foods, got my drink and settled down with some friends to eat. I heaped up my fork with spinach and took a big bite, and almost gagged, I pulled the fork out as quickly as possible exclaiming to my friends “there is something wrong with this spinach!!!” to which they replied “Tiffany, that’s not spinach, its turnip greens!”

Turnip greens are apparently one of those strange vegetables that southerners have adopted as “good eatin’” and one of which I refuse to partake, I just can’t do it. You can give me all the vinegar and fixin’s you want, but it still won’t make me like the stuff. I don’t even like the turnip, let alone the greens!

So although there are many southern delicacies and delights I enjoy, turnip greens will never been one of them. That is why I can only halfway agree with Billy Currington's song, I can thank God for Good directions…but the good Lord knows I am not thanking him for turnip greens!

No comments: